Well, I was tagged for a meme for the first time ever! As usual, I have waited almost a month to respond, but I am glad I was tagged. So here we go, and I hope Amba reads this.
1. Similar to Amba’s story about the almonds, I love picking through the chips at a Mexican restaurant before the meal and picking the perfect chip for the moment, much like winnowing through a pile of lentils, looking for stones. Yes, this means I touch every chip I reject. I used to do this all the time, no matter who I was eating with until my best friend (we had met recently so we didn’t know each other very well at that point) told me that she could see that habit of mine getting on her nerves the longer we knew each other. Ha. I never thought that touching each chip and discarding it would be impolite, but I saw the error of my ways and now I only pick through the chips when I am with the aforementioned best friend, husband, or family.
2. I didn’t start gardening until I was 26, starting with houseplants. I became entranced by orchids and African violets at first. I couldn’t believe that I could have flowers inside my apartment! I guess that means I’ve been gardening for about 6 years now. Clearly I have a lot to learn!
3. I believe that I will find my passion, whatever I am meant to be doing with my life, when I am older. As everyone says, Julia Child didn’t find her passion until she was 37, so I have some time. Until that happens, I might as well be doing what I’ve been trained to do, which is public health research.
4. Related to the above, I was not a very happy child. In hindsight, I don’t think I enjoyed being a child, although I had a relatively stable and loving childhood. I am much happier as an adult. I fit into that role easier than the role of a child. I am proof that sullen, withdrawn, and shy children can grow up to be as well-adjusted as me!
5. I don’t have any brothers.
6. I have fallen in love at first sight only once in my life–and that was with my second cat. When I saw him in the shelter, I knew I had to have him. Even now, just looking at him makes me happy. If you saw him, you would understand. He looks like a pure black furry owl. I love my other two girl cats too. However, they were difficult at first, and I had to grow to love them, which makes our relationship different, not worse.
7. Apart from gardens and plants, I am pretty much thinking about food constantly. I think about meals, grocery lists, new and familiar tastes, and textures constantly. Lucky for me, my husband is the exact same way.
That wasn’t that hard! I am not going to tag anyone, but if anyone is reading this, please share what you want to about yourselves.